Thursday, May 1, 2008

gas prices and fuel dependence

I was in South America a couple of years ago.  While I was there, the gas prices got so high that people started rioting.  People would set up big barricades in the streets so the buses couldn't get by.  If they found anyone driving, they would throw big rocks at them, and try to puncture their tires.  It was bad, we couldn't even leave our room.  I really fear that our country is headed for this kind of a situation.  (Hopefully not as violent)  The sad part is I think that we could have, and still can do something about it, but those with an interest in our fossil fuel dependence won't allow it.  Once, I heard about a man who developed technology to harness the motion of the ocean's waves and currents into a usable source of energy.  His technology would have supplied energy to hundreds of U.S. cities.  His technology was never developed because the oil companies got a hold of him.  I really fear that this type of thing has happened numerous times, and will continue to happen.  There's got to be a way to combat this problem.

No comments: